Sunday, April 12, 2009

Dell Computers: The Epitome of Customer Disservice

For the second time in just a few months, Dell Computers cancelled an order without any good reason. The first time, I bought a flat-screen monitor (using a price-discount coupon). I waited and waited, then logged in to my account to see that it had been cancelled. No one could understand why it had been discounted but, that notwithstanding, they were unwilling to let me reorder it at the discounted price. I passed.

Yesterday, I logged in to my Dell account because the notebook computer I had ordered had not arrived by the promised delivery date. I was stunned to see that it, too, had been cancelled. I called "customer care" only to be shuffled like a deck of cards until I was told the order was cancelled because it was delayed. And, they claimed, I did not respond to an email nor to a telephone call; without my authorization for the delay, they claimed, they had no recourse but to cancel the order.

I had received plenty of email from Dell, including the immediate order acknowledgement, the later order confirmation and the notice of expected deliver date. I had paid for it with my credit card, so all was well. But Dell now says that somehow that "particular" email they say they sent did not get to me. "Check your spam folder," I was advised (it was not there, of course). They claimed, too, that they called me. The number I gave them was my office phone number; I have voice mail and I have a staff. If they had called, I would have gotten the call or a message that it was received.

After an interminable time talking to all manner of India-based "customer service" representatives, I got nowhere. No one would own up to the fact that Dell screwed up. Finally, I asked what they were going to do to make it right, to get me the notebook computer I had been waiting for so long. The "customer service" people talked and talked and talked to their superiors. The best they could do was to advise me to call the Sales Department when they opened on Monday. I responded, "How about you have them call me, since I was not the one who cancelled the order and I've already wasted too much time getting nowhere with you?" Nope. That's not their policy. I would have to call them. Customer service can't have sales call me. What?! This is a corporate policy of Dell? Yep.

Needless to say, I have made my last Dell purchase. My $11,000 server at my office, my four $1500 home desktops, my two or three business notebooks and my other Dell purchases over the years made no difference to Dell. They just blew me off. So, I'm asking YOU to think about whether you want to risk getting that kind of "customer service" when you buy computer products. I strongly encourage everyone to take Dell off your vendor list, whether for business or personal use. Dell needs to get the message, loud and clear, that their abysmal customer service...their institutional DISSERVICE...will not be tolerated.

Spread the word. Don't buy Dell products and TELL THEM WHY YOU ARE NOT BUYING DELL PRODUCTS!

Thanks for your attention and your support.

8 comments:

  1. Go get 'em! Dell is a computer assembler enterprise with little or no hardware or software expertise or innovation.

    A couple of years ago I switched to Apple, which is a bargain if one's time and aggravation has value.

    No MS operating system can touch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dell is full of idiots. Their "award-winning customer service" is just so much bullshit. I'm forwarding a link to this post to my address book; Dell needs to be recognized for what they are...incompetent thieves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is par for the course with Dell. I used to buy Gateway, then their service got miserable so I switched to Dell. Dell's service is now far worse that Gateway's ever was. They have nice, but utterly ineffective, Indians who only know how to say "I'm so sorry." And they are. And so is Dell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dell has outsourced its customer service; they don't give a shit about customer service, not in the least. Hell, they're just sitting around with their thumbs up their butts trying to figure out how their assembly and quality control got so back...no time for customer service!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dell's customer service is legendary...for being worthless. Take a look at these linkd which is the reason all of my geek friends who were formerly Dell afficionados have switched:

    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/computer_complaints.html

    http://www.complaints.com/Dell-Computer-Complaint-136970/Dell-Computer-Complaint-136970.html

    http://haroldsays.typepad.com/haroldsays/2009/04/dell-computers-a-consumers-complaint.html

    http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/05/21/new-york-ag-launches-website-for-complaints-about-dell/

    http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2005/07/dell.html

    I typed in "complaints Dell computers" without the quotation marks and got 321,000 hits...which demonstrates that the FTC has not listened to my complaints YET!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. Your blog was very helpful and efficient For Me,Thanks for Sharing the information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. Your blog was very helpful and efficient For Me,Thanks for Sharing the information.

    ReplyDelete